4 School Shooting Threats Made in CVUSD

Brittany Hosea-Small 916-267-174

Ellie Bloom, 17, a junior at Tamalpais High School in Mill Valley, holds up a protest sign reading “Protect kids, not guns” during the March for Our Lives march and rally in Richmond, CA on Saturday March 24, 2018. -Picture courtesy of Public Domain

Samantha Ibarra, Commentary writer

It is an average everyday morning on your way to the school with nothing but a smile on your face from excitement to see your friends and while in the car your parent slowly turns your way with a slight frown from worry, they start telling you to be careful and be sure to report anything suspicious that you see. You begin to think when did going to school become a precaution that I have to be worried about? At the time you get to school your smile soon fades away as a sense of fear rushes towards you. The fact that students who have been going to school for almost all their lives now have to face the worry that something might happen at any time is absolutely horrific to know that going to school has now become a life-threatening situation. Many Don Lugo High School students have been through the anxiety and fear of stepping foot on campus due to prior school threats that have been made in the Chino Valley Unified School District.

As of the beginning of the year, schools all over America have been targeted with threats that now have been affecting students everyday life. On February 14, 2018, the Florida school shooting has put in effect on teachers and administrators to discuss school shooting safety with students in case of any kind of emergency. There have been a total of over four school shooting threats made by students who attend: Ayala High school, Chino High School, Lyle S. Briggs Fundamental School, and recently Don Lugo High School.

A Lyle S. Briggs Junior High student who has asked to remain anonymous stated that “It has become an overall fear for many students to come to school, we never know when a school shooting will happen and it has made coming to class a fearful experience for everyone.” On Saturday, March 24, over a million students and protesters made their way to the ‘March For Our Lives’ event for hope to be heard over the stop on school shootings and the situation over gun control. According to ‘The New York Times’, an uproar of people and students protesting and chanting “Enough is Enough!” with tears in their eyes from expressing their frustration towards what has been happening and how their lives are being put on the line.

School shootings have impacted the lives of many students and families, we are fighting for our own safety and security. When did going to school become life-threatening and how can we change this? A survivor of the Parkland shooting, Rebecca Schneid stated, “This march is just the beginning of a movement that will last a very long time. We understand that this is a marathon and that we’ll be fighting for years. We’re just getting started, now we have to use our rights as voters to make things change. Politicians will see that we aren’t going away.” The battle for school security and safety has become stronger and stronger each day and we all must continue to fight for our lives!

“I believe that we shouldn’t we worrying over the fear of school shootings but to be prepared for any situation and to continue fighting for the stop of these life threatening  situations in the US.” -Marissa Davila (Don Lugo freshman student)