1 million views sparks a social media celebrity on Meme Day

Gabriel Torres poses with Bretman Rock. “He wanted to do this to standout, and he definitely did,” said Maya Salazar. Gabriel has since inspired many.

Isaiah Frausto, News Reporter

Don Lugo celebrates Milkcan spirit week with first meme day. Lugo hosted the event on Tuesday, September 19th, for the first time in school history, which ended in a social media out break. Over hundreds of students participated in the school wide event where students had to dress up as their favorite meme and are judged by their fellow peers in a contest.

The true winner of meme day, was tenth grader, Gabriel Torres. Gabriel accumulated 1.3 million views on Instagram and an amazing 109 thousand+ likes on Twitter. He was dressed as famous social media star, Bretman Rock, who even went as far as commenting on the video with the student expressing his joy and laughter, “I’m cackling!”

Lugo has been receiving more attention than ever before. Radio station, 102.7 requested to celebrate the week by coming to Lugo and hosting a pep rally. Meme day will now happen annually for Don Lugo in hopes for another social media outbreak. “I was very happy for him, his intentions were to stand out and he definitely did so i’m happy it went viral,” said tenth grader, Maya Salazar, about how she felt about the publicity that Gabriel and the school is getting. Many other students found it crazy how one individual can provide a huge increase in exposure for a school.