Supreme court to overturn social media ban for sexual offenders

The Supreme Court is currently ruling on the law that registered sex offenders cant use social media in North Carolina. While many Don Lugo Students believe that this law was completely justified and be spread, a few quickly disagreed. Some believe that the law is unconstitutional, as it prevents people from using a free social media.

GPS.gov

The Supreme Court is currently ruling on the law that registered sex offenders can’t use social media in North Carolina. While many Don Lugo Students believe that this law was completely justified and be spread, a few quickly disagreed. Some believe that the law is unconstitutional, as it prevents people from using a ‘free social media.’

Micheal Everman, Tech Reporter

The Supreme Court is currently ruling on the law that states that registered sex offenders can’t use social media in North Carolina. The 2008 law prohibits offenders from using social media that allows minors as members. A lawyer of a sexual offender took it to federal court in disagreement of the law, declaring that “these people are being cut off from a very large part of the market place of ideas.”

Don Lugo student, Jennifer Espinoza, weighed in on the issue saying, “It seems like a reasonable option considering the fact that they could stalk or view profiles of minors.” Considering the fact that there are about 56 registered sex offenders just in Chino, if the law were present in California many people would be banned from several social medias. The Supreme Court suggested that the law may be unconstitutional and may be overturned.

On the other hand, North Carolina attorney general stated, “it is just an extension of the ban of schools or playgrounds.” A Don Lugo student who chose to remain anonymous stated, “they can have social media, but it needs to be heavily monitored just in case.” Sexual offenders tend to be a big concern to many people, considering that Don Lugo students live within a mile of at the very least five sexual offenders.