BREAKING NEWS: Dress code protest wreaked havoc after receiving opposition from the crowd

Photo Courtesy: Natalya Gonzalez

Don Lugo students crowd the protesters in the quad while they are seen recording the protest.

Jazmine Coto and Adrie Villa

On September 2, Don Lugo students held a protest during lunch in regards to the dress code catching the attention of many students who both supported and opposed the protest. 

Three Don Lugo students named Elizabeth Saldana, Giamae Villalobos, and Lillian Mappala organized a protest to voice their opinions on the dress code enforced at Don Lugo. They began in the quad and began marching with a crowd of students through campus all the way to the counselors office. Administrators as well as most students did not take this protest seriously.

A group of students follow Elizabeth Saldana and Giamae Villalobos from the quad to the counselors office. (Photo Courtesy: Natalya Gonzalez)

As Elizabeth stands atop the pedestal in the center of the quad, students start throwing food and beverages at her and the other protesters. Along with them, bystanders who were trying to eat their lunch were caught in the crossfire. Many students did not understand the reasoning behind the protest and were seen laughing at the protesters while recording the commotion.

What was meant to be a peaceful protest quickly went awry turning into chaos. The first ever protest held on Don Lugo’s campus was taken lightly. It resulted in a disruption of the school environment and threatened the safety of other students which was not the initial goal.