Normalization of Christianity

Alyssa Sandoval, Managing Editor

To normalize is to make something a norm or standard. In the case of the United States, Christianity is the “normal” and primary religion. Although it is argued that Christianity is on the decline and we are seeing less-and-less Christians in the nation, there is still a large percent of Americans that believe in Christianity and publicly express their support. Christianity has been the major religion for centuries and will probably remain that way for a long time. Despite the fact that Christianity is only one of about 4,000 religions, it is still the normalized religion to many Americans for many reasons.

When explorers started traveling and claiming land that was already inhabited, they started converting the pre-existing populations to what they believed in: Christianity. As soon as colonization went into effect, the majority of those in small places were forced to adapt to Christianity and the “good” or “right” teachings that the colonizers presented to them. Christianity is practiced in about 158 countries, but it is the primary religion in only fifteen or so. Technically, Christianity has not taken over the world, but it is definitely universalized as Christians make up about 2.3 billion people and 31 percent of the global population. Christianity is the most practiced religion which also goes to show just how important religion, especially Christianity, is to people. 

Christians tend to look down upon other religions and non-religious people, but there has been a growing tolerance in the United States for atheist and agnostic Americans. Christianity has become a fundamental part of adolescence as well because religion has been pushed to children since they could walk, or maybe even before that. Oftentimes, children are not left to figure out their own religious views, but are instead meant to follow in their parents’ footsteps. Parents assume their children will willingly adopt their views which damages the process of self-discovery. The pattern of forcing religion is the main reason many people end up with religion related trauma. This also helps explain why many children are now growing up atheist, as the kids in the new generation are being parented by the people who grew up with the conservative and religion-focused generation. It is not surprising that we are seeing a decline in Christians as a nation because society has become a more accepting place, which has lessened the amount of people pushing Christianity down the throats of other Americans.

Christianity is also normalized in America because some influential past presidential candidates – and presidents – have been openly Christian or Catholic. Religion is definitely a factor as to why some of these candidates have been elected because many Americans think it is important to elect a candidate with the same beliefs. Christians also make up 63% of the United States population which helps us understand that they are still the vast majority of voters even if we see more atheistic views tolerated now. 

Christianity, unfortunately, is very infused into society in America; we see and hear it everyday. Churches are in every city and are seen frequently throughout the country. We also get a glimpse of it when Don Lugo students stand for the pledge of allegiance and promise to be in “one nation under God.” Even though the United States tends to be more progressive, there is no denying that Christianity is the national religion and most accepted by Americans.