Spanish Club Brings Dia De Los Muertos to School

Back to Article
Back to Article

Rebecca Barksdale, Reporter

This year, Spanish Club has brought a beautiful Dia De Los Muertos tradition to Don Lugo! The club started off November with an altar to celebrate Dia De Los Muertos, also known as Day Of The Dead, it is a Mexican tradition celebrated on November 1 and 2 in remembrance of family members who have passed away. Those who participate set up an altar with decorations and pictures of family and the families favorite food with various items to remember them by.

Spanish teacher Teresa Pena and the Spanish Club wanted to set up an altar on campus, and gave it a unique twist. The students put up pictures of members the Latin community who have influenced their culture. This lets the Spanish Club show other students some important members of the Latin community, and showcase the tradition for those who may not know about it.

Originally, the Spanish Club was going to set up altar in their in their classroom.  However, they realized that setting it up in the library would let plenty more people see it, and help people understand what the holiday is about. Ms Pena explained, “When we started the Spanish Club, we decided on the goals of our club, and one of them was to promote our culture. So once Dia De Los Muertos came up, some of the students came up with making an altar.”

Valentina Gonzalez, a student at Don Lugo expressed how she feels about the altar. She remarked, “I think it’s cool because you never really see that anymore, and not everyone knows what Dia De Los Muertos is about. I hope they start to do it every year.” After asking Ms. Pena if the Spanish Club would put up an altar every year, she announced, “It would be great to make an altar every year from now on.”