Aeries doesn’t serve all teachers on campus

Back to Article
Back to Article

English teacher Mr. Swift assisting a student with their work in class. Photographer: Saslaya Baca

Saslaya Baca

Saslaya Baca

Saslaya Baca

Rebecca Barksdale, News Reporter

Although it’s supposed to be the standard, many Lugo teachers don’t use the Aeries grading platform for grades.  Many kids don’t like the fact that they can’t always see their grade on Aeries, because it makes grades more difficult to check. Valentina Gonzalez explained, “I don’t like it when my teachers don’t use Aeries because personally, I like to see how I’m doing in class without having to ask the teacher for my grade, so I can also see where I need improvement.”

The TeacherEase app where students are able to check their grades when teachers don’t use Aeries. The app applies a students mastery of a standard, rather than points. “I feel like I actually learn when my teacher applies standards based grading points because when it’s points, my work is more about quantity over quality,” admitted Saslaya Baca. (Photo courtesy of Anthony Winslow)

A handful of teachers have reported grades that are based on a standards-based grading philosophy. Teachers including ERWC teacher Ms. Hill have reported that, “Aeries isn’t for standards-based grading and outside grade books like Teacherease, give me a much bigger picture of where my students level of mastery is that goes beyond just a percentage or number.” However, an anonymous student from Ms. Hill’s class remarked “The fact of the matter is, it’s easier to check grades on Aeries, and I have to use another app to check my grade that’s standards-based which is gross and utterly ridiculous.”

Other teachers on campus who utilize second-party grading systems believe there are better grade reporting products in comparison to Aeries. “Aries is a “non-user friendly program,” explained World History teacher Mr. Donoho, who uses Easy Grade Pro. “It is an older reporting system that used to be on our Don Lugo campus, but I think it works better and I’ve had no problems with it.” A student in Mr. Donoho’s beamed, “I like the way he told us because he tells us what we’re missing every week.”

Mr. Thigpen has his own method he calls the Evidence System. Students will gather the homework and put the papers in their folders. This helps the students see their improvement in writing and research skills, keeps the assignments in one place, and gives them some flexibility in for turning in their homework. They can also see if they are missing any work by checking their folder. By using classroom Chromebooks, they can see their saved tests and quiz scores. Briana Renteria, a student of Mr. Thigpen, complained, “I feel like its not fair, we’re left waiting for our grades.”