Don Lugo’s New Librarian: Mrs. Reese!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Don Lugo’s New Librarian: Mrs. Reese!

Don Lugo library, photographer Valerie Torres

Valerie Torres and Lorenzo Caldera

Teachers, advisers, and coaches are often recognized for all the support they provide the campus. However, the person that supports them is not given nearly enough appreciation. Jennifer Reese, the school librarian, is known to teachers around campus as the “Hook-Up” and with her help, Don Lugo staff has made her someone that they can rely on.

Mrs. Reese has been here at Lugo since November 2018, but before she worked at Ayala High School. Mrs. Reese has been in education for 12 years, not only as a librarian, but as a teacher too. While in college, she completed a major in deaf studies, got her teaching credential, then finally her library credential and master’s.

Don Lugo’s New Librarian: Mrs. Reese, photographer Saslaya Baca

The library is primarily run by the assistants. Mrs. Reese’s job is to develop programs and collaborate with teachers, she states that running the library is a team effort. Mrs. Reese has big plans for the library such as creating new seating areas, different exhibits put on by students, touring programs, and maybe even a coffee shop. Currently, the shelves in the library are a work in progress which is why they are closed off for the time being.

Mrs. Reese’s reputation of being incredibly helpful and kind has spread among the teachers due to her helping with class supplies, any type of supplemental curriculum, and technological help. She also tells that teachers can come to her if they ever need help to put on events or finding information or research. Many teachers have already said they’re thankful for her helpfulness, and some even called her amazing!

Whenever asked, Mrs. Reese goes out of her way to get supplies for any teacher who asks. Whether it be decorations or a few packets of printer paper, she is always glad to help. On top of providing all her resources to staff, she is constantly organizing and re-organizing books and sometimes picking up trash left around by students.

If you don’t say thank you, you’re not going to get your supplies.”

— Mrs. Reese (School Librarian)

During the same hours, she is visited from anywhere between five and ten teachers, sometimes being asked for things that aren’t even educational, such as home decorations. However, it’s important to be clear on the fact that not every librarian is willing to go out of their way to support their fellow staff members. Mrs. Reese requires respect and gratitude when delivering on a favor, and Don Lugo staff is more than happy to provide that to her.

Don Lugo library work in progress, photographer Valerie Torres

Thanks to her major in deaf studies, Mrs. Reese is fluent in American sign language with an emphasis on interpreting. She is also involved with Don Lugo’s ASL program. Currently they are working on a story time for little kids in different elementary schools in the district.

Next time you visit Mrs. Reese in the library, make sure you give her a big thank you for all the hard work she is doing to keep our school beautiful. Without her, your classrooms wouldn’t have the supplies you’re granted, or be nearly as pleasant as they are. Don’t forget to check in on the library and its progress!