Mr.Robinson strums the heart strings of students

Valerie Torres ,Quest News reporter

Mr.Robinson’s sits in front of students, teaching them the craft of music.

Valerie Torres, Reporter

When some people think of Mr. Robinson, most think math teacher, or an engineering teacher. Those who know him will say he is a music lover who plays the bass and teaches the guitar to Don Lugo students.

David Robinson has worked here for 21 years and counting, has a knack for music, and teaches the guitar every Monday and Friday during lunch. These lessons began 5 years ago when a student asked Mr. Robinson if he could teach him to play guitar, Robinson told the student to bring a guitar that Friday and the rest became history. It has never been a hassle for Mr. Robinson to teach students the guitar, “I find it relaxing to play”. He says that he enjoys teaching the students, especially when they are eager to learn. He says that the lessons are a no pressure environment for all. A student stated that these lessons have helped them improve greatly from when they first started.

Mr. Robinson’s love for music started with his childhood and developed into a collection of 800-900 vinyl records and hundreds of CD’s. He enjoys collecting music and posters as well as listening to different types of music. He began playing the guitar in college, and for the most part, is self taught, aside from his great uncle who taught him. He would mainly play bass so he could be off to the side with less pressure. Mr. Robinson’s band career didn’t stop there, he states that he has played in Claremont and has played at a relay for life cancer walk.

A fact unbeknownst to most students, he was in a band with a few other Don Lugo teachers in 2007. The band was called “Stale Food” and included members like Mr. Robles as the drummer and the old French teacher Mr.Zukov as another guitarist, the rest of the band were non Don Lugo teachers.

He helps us come together to play and be free

— Alina Lezma

When asked, a student stated “Mr.Robinson doesn’t give up on you”. Another anonymous student stated that Mr. Robinson is very patient and takes his time to teach the students even if some of the songs during guitar lessons are too hard. A student finds his lessons very helpful and believe he is a good teacher.

Students express their passion for playing the guitar. Mr. Robinson helps talented individuals shine with this club

Mr. Robinson enjoys working here at Don Lugo, he thinks everyone is pretty down to earth and that students here really appreciate things and has always liked that about Don Lugo. Be sure to check out Mr. Robinson’s guitar lessons every week on Mondays and Fridays for a dedicated teacher willing to help students learn in a mellow environment.