Quest News

200 Show Up at District Office In Support of Coach Gano

Photo Courtesy of Coach Gonzalez via Twitter

Brandie Altuna, Editor-in-Chief

A packed house for Thursday’s school board meeting proved Coach Gano had all the support he needed to fight the recent disciplinary action by the Chino Valley Unified School District for undisclosed reasons involving freshman football players during the 2017 season. Posters of “We love our coach” and “Save Gano” were in plain sight as 200 people including football players, cheerleaders, parents, and concerned community members filled every seat and left only standing room for others. Social media exploded as #SaveGano helped fill the district boardroom.

#SaveGano

One by one, student-athletes barely made it through their statements. Football players like Daniel Mungia stepped up to the microphone and ended his comments with heartfelt reasons why Gano is more than just a coach.

Dr. Cabrera explained, “Don Lugo is a very special place, and yesterday’s rally to support Gano was so much proof of how amazing Don Lugo students are and how they mobilize. I hope they know that their voice means something and when they come together their voice can move something.”

The board voted 3-1 to keep Coach Gano at Don Lugo High School as a coach and teacher. Board member Irene Hernandez-Blair recused herself from voting due to a conflict of interest since her son is a Don Lugo High School football player.

Dr. Cabrera was the first to tell the crowd waiting anxiously outside, “He’s Safe!”  Athletic Director, James Donoho says, “[Gano] immediately sat down and took a deep breath when he got the news from Superintendent Wayne Joseph that he would be continuing with Chino Valley Unified.” 

Surprised at the turnout, Dr. Cabrera, a DALHS football parent herself said, “If there was a stronger word than PROUD, I would use it…These football players allowed themselves to be vulnerable and honest in order to rightfully save a man’s job. He has an impact on all students whether they play for him or they’re in his class…For Gano, coaching is about taking care of kids…and their presence in that boardroom was evident of that.”