Facebook replicates a story feature similar to other apps, but no one is using it.

Facebook+has+updated+a+new+stories+filter+to+their+website.+Although+Facebook+made+this+update+many+of+their+users+prefer+not+to+use+it+because+they+are+accustomed+to+Snapchat+and+Instagram.+

Joel Chavez

Facebook has updated a new stories filter to their website. Although Facebook made this update many of their users prefer not to use it because they are accustomed to Snapchat and Instagram.

Joel Chavez, Tech Reporter

Facebook replicates a story feature similar as other apps, but no one is using it. Facebook created a new filter that lets users share multiple photos and videos as part of a visual collection. Facebook began this update because many users weren’t posting as many pictures or status updates onto the Facebook website, as they have before. Connor Hayes, the product manager for Facebook stories, quotes,“The way people create content is changing to be from text to photos and videos- this change is the way users are sharing with one another and interacting online.”

Many people are unaware that this feature even exists. Even though some people know about this Facebook update, they prefer to use Snapchat and Instagram. Many teens prefer other social media outputs such as Instagram or Twitter, and refrain from using Facebook because it doesn’t catch their attention. Don Antonio Lugo student, Antonio Gomez, shares, “When I found out about the update on Facebook, I thought that Facebook was just copying Snapchat- with sharing photos with their friends- and it didn’t interest me at all.”

When I found out about the update on Facebook, I thought that Facebook was just copying Snapchat- with sharing photos with their friends- and it didn’t interest me at all.

— Antonio Gomez

The update filter Facebook stories lets users add an animated filter before recording a video or take a photo, while the other apps lets users add stickers after or during the video or photo is being taken. Facebook story has some similar filters as Snapchat and has made of their own filters. Facebook story lets the users photo or video last up to 20 seconds, while the other apps lets users photo and videos last up to 10 to 15 seconds.

Joel Chavez
This photo shows one of Facebook story’s animated filters.

Many people just think that Facebook just made the “Story” update because Instagram and Snapchat both had the similar filter. Many teens have no interest in Facebook’s new story update because teens have already got use to Snapchat and Instagram and just think that Facebook is trying replicate the same idea of story filters. Maybe, Facebook only updated the new feature as more people have been leaning towards using Snapchat and Instagram instead of going on Facebook and writing their daily status.