President Donald Trump revokes transgender rights in public school restrooms

Newly elected President Donald Trump has withdrawn an Obama-era bill that protected LGBTQ rights. The revoked bill makes me feel uneasy about the restroom situations, states an anonymous Don Lugo student. Photo courtesy of WikiCommons.

Newly elected President Donald Trump has withdrawn an Obama-era bill that protected LGBTQ rights. “The revoked bill makes me feel uneasy about the restroom situations,” states an anonymous Don Lugo student. Photo courtesy of WikiCommons.

Donald Trump’s hypocritical actions have taken away transgender rights. In this recent week President Donald Trump has revoked the restroom rights of transgendered students in public schools. Not only has this act infringed rights of these students, but it has striped them of their right to identify with the gender that they prefer.

I thought the United States was “land of the free and home of the brave?” But with President Donald Trumps latest actions it doesn’t quite seem that way. This is only one of the many instances that has proven Trump to be hypocritical.

The Obama-era bill protected the rights of transgendered students by allowing them to use the restroom in which corresponds with their gender identity.  Now, per Trumps Administrations latest action, students will not have the protection they need to use the restroom. Mara Keisling, the executive director of the National Center for Transgender Equality, has stated, “This is a mean-spirited attack on hundreds of thousands of students who simply want to be their true selves and be treated with dignity while attending school.”

I could not agree more with Keisling. This has further proved that President Donald Trump’s actions are based solely off of his personal beliefs and has proved himself to be a hypocrtite.  After he had won the presidency President Trump tweeted, “Thank you to the LGBT community! I will fight for you while Hilary brings in more people that will threaten your freedoms and beliefs.”

Funny isn’t it? President Trump has stated that he will protect the rights of our LGBT community, but goes and withdraws a bill that protects LGBTQ communities. My question is, can I get a recount?