Hamilton Lip Sync Battle: A lesson in history for Ramona 8th graders

Freshman+Eddie+Lilly%2C+white+team+member%2C+was+one+of+10+members+to+win+the+morning+competition+of+the+Hamilton+Lip+Sync+Battle.+The+drama+department+hosted+300+8th+graders+from+Ramona+to+give+them+a+history+lesson+on+founding+father+Alexander+Hamilton+with+their+first+ever+lip+sync+battle.+A+handful+of+students+from+the+team+commented+on+their+excitement%2C+This+was+a+team+effort+and+its+great+to+see+that+hard+work+pays+off.+

Mason Lopez

Freshman Eddie Lilly, white team member, was one of 10 members to win the morning competition of the Hamilton Lip Sync Battle. The drama department hosted 300 8th graders from Ramona to give them a history lesson on founding father Alexander Hamilton with their first ever lip sync battle. A handful of students from the team commented on their excitement, “This was a team effort and it’s great to see that hard work pays off.”

Natalie West, News Editor

Eighth graders at Ramona Junior High School visited Don Lugo for a special performance and lesson in American history. The drama department performed a lip-sync battle using the songs from the famous Broadway musical, “Hamilton.” The students and teachers from Ramona and Lugo joined together to be judges of the competition.

Drama students were divided up into three teams: the red team, the white team, and the blue team. Each team was responsible for their own casting, directing, and choreography. The show consisted of four rounds, giving each team five minutes to perform. The five adult panelists who judged acted as the electoral vote; while the students who attended had the popular vote.

In the end, the blue and white team tied for the popular vote, but the judges “electoral college” placed the white team as the mornings winner. Hamilton represents the true life of politics and can still be related to our society today,” shares ASB President and Master of Ceremonies, Isaiah Ruiz. The drama department still has an evening show to perform at 7:00 pm in the MPR where the electoral college and popular vote will choose a new winner.