Toys for teens

The dance team is getting in the holiday spirit by putting up their own Christmas tree. Dance team member Anissa Carcido states,” I’m excited , our Christmas tree will soon be filled up with presents to donate to the less fortunate!” Donations are still being encouraged, and anything helps.

Tatiana Arenas

Don Lugo’s 25th annual Toy drive is now in full affect until the 15th of December. The toy drive is an annual event where the community of Chino and Don Lugo students come together to donate gifts for those in need. Activities Director, Mrs. Rigo-Witt, is taking a list of students who want to sign up to donate to those less fortunate.

The ages of toys and presents vary from a new born child to young adults. The presents can range from stuffed bears and portable speakers to gift cards and bathroom essentials. Mrs. Rigo-Witt encourages everyone to participate in this drive and assures that any donation is never too little.

The Don Lugo leadership program will be working along side Isaiah’s rock, a non profit organization, that brings those in need gifts. Mrs. Rigo-Witt also reached out to all the sports teams, and clubs on campus to spread the word about the toy drive. The goal for the toy drive is to bring joy to foster children, children with abusive families, and even to some Lugo students.

The dance and hip hop team will be sponsoring nine Christmas stockings filled with different goodies and presents. This year is the first year the dance department has been involved as a team to donate for the toy drive. Dance team captain Elisa Lo says, “It warms my heart to see all the teams and clubs on campus come together to make some little kids Christmas season wonderful.”

In past years, Lugo has partnered with Newman Elementary school and some other elementary schools in the CVUSD district to bring a list of students who need a little more Christmas spirit. Because elementary schools are so small they don’t get a lot of toys. Mrs. Wilson , a teacher from Newman elementary and a well involved parent at Don Lugo states ,” The toy drive is a great program and the amount of families it helps is just fantastic.”

Along with the toy drive there will also be a coat drive to keep the students at Don Lugo warm as well as people in the community. The school nurse is accepting any old , new and even used coats for the winter so the students can worry less about the cold winter coming soon. Alexis Lopez says ” With the weather being cold lately, I think this is a great idea for those who cannot afford to buy a coat or sweater.”

Weather it be a donation of money or a toy, any little thing helps. Don Lugo students are very proud of what their school is doing and has been doing for the last 25 years. Sarah Wilson states,”It brings me great joy to be part of a program that gives back to those in need.”

Don Lugo has been extremely generous when it comes to giving back to the community. From the Thanksgiving food drive to the Christmas donations, Lugo has joined together to proudly represent their school moto “One School, One Family.” Tis’ the season of giving back and helping the community.