Lugo gives back to Chino’s finest

Here officer Kato is conversing with some students enjoying their delicious food. Kato is the resource officer here on campus willing to talk to any of the students here. Photo courtesy to Natalie West.

Chris Cuadras, Commentary Reporter

Police officers from Chino Police Department visited Don Lugo  to enjoy hot pizza, ice cold fruit punch, and delicious cupcakes with special needs students in the Hearts and Hero’s club. Don Lugo not only gave thanks to the officers, but also built a stronger relationship with the students in the special needs program. “A strong relationship lets the students know that police officers aren’t intimidating but there to help them,” Dr. Cabrera shared.

Many people think law enforcement officers are out to get them, when in actuality police men and women are there to help people rather than hurt them.  Contributing to building a stronger relationship with law enforcement is part of why the event was held. It was to prove to students that officers actually do care, and put everyone else before themselves, and once people believe how much officers care, it makes peoples lives less stressful and not fearful of law enforcement.

All the students were very excited and happy when they heard that the officers were coming to eat and converse with them. Most of the students were very inviting. When the students were talking to the officers, they were extremely excited to ask how their day went and eagerly asked what their names were.

Jojo Tucker said,”I talk to officer Kato everyday, and he is a very nice person.” Everyday these special education students put smiles on everyone’s faces which goes with our school motto “One School One Family.” Everyone considers the students with disabilities as their friend and treats them as regular, everyday people.

Officers commented,”Once we break the ice here it is so much easier to say hello the next time.” Sometimes it is hard for people to say hello to law enforcement, yet the officers want to have an easier work environment. When everyone cooperates with the officers it makes their job ten times easier.

One officer, out of many, shared their story and explained how they cared for an individual with a disability and he also has the same amount of care towards our students, disability or not. This officer explained,”I have a nephew who is eight and high functioning autistic barely starting to talk and it’s nice to know that they are still in there. They still know who you are it just takes time to talk to them and figure out what they are trying to explain to you and ultimately they just want to be heard.”  Even though police men and woman are enforcing law, they too are human just like everyone else.

To the teachers, these kids mean the world to them and to an extent they would do anything for them. Mrs. Daily commented,”I love teaching these kiddos because it is amazing to see my students grow everyday. The students always have a smile on their face and the effort they show is incredible!” Having this event was so important and the club advisers hope to do it again throughout the years.