Don Lugo’s Boys Volleyball team had their Senior Night for the Class of 2017

Ammon Parks

Don Lugo’s boys volleyball team Class of 2017. With this being the teams first year they were able to get 10 seniors to play. The team lost 3-1 to Ganesha High school.

Ammon Parks, Sports Editor

Don Lugo’s first ever Boys Volleyball team had their first senior night game against Ganesha. Don Lugo has nine seniors on the team: Ernesto Noguez ’17 (C), Leonardo Jaroszewski ’17 (C), Marvin Slaimon ’17, Noah Negrete ’17, Manolo Romero ’17, Santiago Gutierrez ’17, Luis Vazquez ’17, Diego Navarrette ’17, Daniel Contreras ’17, and Rueben Mendivil ’17. With Ganesha ranked first place in league, and Don Lugo in second, the team was excited to have a chance to take down the top dog.

The first time Don Lugo played Ganesha, Don Lugo walked away with a victory on Ganesha’s home court. Unfortunately, they weren’t so lucky the second time, losing 3-1.  After this last game, senior, Luis Vazquez, said, “Going into the season a lot of  people doubted us, especially the other teams because it was our first year as a team.  They underestimated us. Our win against Ganesha the first time gave us a lot of credit because they are first in league.” He continued, “Coming into this game we were expecting the same result as last time, but we were missing one of our star players, Andrew Partida, and that definitely had an effect on the turnout of the game.”

Though they lost to Ganesha, the boys still have big plans for the season. Senior-captain Ernesto Noguez said, “We plan to go to CIF. We need to win our next few games to secure our spot.” Don Lugo’s next game is on Wednesday, May 3rd against Pomona High School at Pomona’s court. Once they win that game the team will be on their way to securing their spot for CIF.

“Playing on this team is an experience I’ll never forget. I enjoyed every minute of it and I hope it continues for years to come.”

— Ernesto Noguez