Volleyball Captain commits to Mississippi Valley State University

Mason Lopez

Don Lugo’s volleyball superstar Tylia Dixon anxiously signing her letter of intent to MVSU with varsity coach Eve Knowles by her side. “I was excited and relieved but also sad because I’ve built such a great connection with my lugo team its sad that its going to come to an end.”- Tylia Dixon. Out of 6 seniors on the varsity volley team , Tylia was one of two to sign.

Luis Vazquez, Reporter

Don Lugo senior, Tylia Dixon, committed to Mississippi Valley State University.  On April 7th, Tylia and her mom flew to Mississippi to officially commit and sign. Mississippi Valley gave Dixon a full ride scholarship to play Division I volleyball as a Delta Devil.

Mississippi was not the only school that wanted Dixon to play volleyball for them; seven other schools contacted the student-athlete for a scholarship. “The biggest reason I chose Mississippi is because the team emphasizes school and they felt like family already by the way they treated me,” shared Tylia. The current volleyball captain will leave to Mississippi on July 6th, a few weeks after graduation, to start conditioning with her new team.

“The biggest reason I chose Mississippi is because the team emphasizes school and they felt like family already by the way they treated me,

— Tylia Dixon

Eve Knowles, Tylia’s club and school volleyball coach, has been the biggest help to Dixon in her success on and off the court. The recent Delta Devil commit expresses, “I owe it all to Coach Eve, not only did she make me into the player I am, she made me into the person I am today as well.” Dixon attributes everything she knows about volleyball to the coaching skills of Coach Knowles.

The Avid Program also taught Tylia Dixon a lot about college and kept her on track with her grades. The four year academic program made an important contribution to the offers she received. “Avid kept me informed on what I needed to do to make it academically to Division I schools,” Dixon claims.

Mississippi Valley also offers a great biology program that Ms. Dixon is interested in. “As an athlete, I learned nothing is handed to you, like this scholarship I got, I had to work for it so anything is possible if you have the right mindset,” shared Dixon. Tylia’s motivation to push the limits throughout high school has made her the first athlete of this years’ senior class to commit to a DI college.